MARYKATE'S GARDEN

KATE'S GARDEN

Monday, September 03, 2018

New Projects in Woodworking and Art -- Spending time with my great-great nephews!

Hello there!
    It's been a very long while since I posted anything on my blog, and I have to admit I forgot a lot about how to navigate in the Design area <g>.  I finally figured out how to change the background, and I love Fall, so it is a Fall theme, and a few Christmas gadgets that are pretty against the gray background.
    I've been working on several projects for my Great Niece, and her two sons are helping me, Leo and Joshua.  They are having a fine time learning to sand wood, stain it, use a drill, and put in screws and hammer nails, as well as art using floral and autumn decorations for their Mom's wreath.  We also did a piece of art using different papers and strings, ribbons and shells.  It turned out really well.  I may even make one for myself.  The wreath is a given, I love wreaths, so I hope to create a new Fall wreath for my entry as well.  I never get tired of the way the temperatures change, the breezes, rain and cloudy skies, the smell of autumn is so different from Spring and Summer.  I'm also thankful when this time comes because it means I can clean the yard for the last time, turn down the sprinkler system, and enjoy the Fall and Winter seasons doing other things.  My yard has alway taken a great deal of attention, although this year, it's been a real challenge.  I'll explain that in another post.
   For now I wanted to share the pieces we have worked on thus far.  I have two more that are in process and should be finished in another week, so I will update this post with new pics and a few comments when that time comes.
   Leo and I worked on the art piece and that was a lot of fun.  Joshua cut the papers, and I helped a little.  Leo learned to use a hot glue gun -- those things can be dangerous.  We enjoyed the process and he was so excited about the piece that he begged me to let him give it to his Mom early.  Well, I figured it was fine because he has another gift to give her, which I will reveal later, and he was pleading with me to let him give it to her, and I just figured, 'Oh, so what -- she'll be thrilled to get it early."  So he did.  This is the picture of that particular gift --
 My Niece was elated when she got this and Leo and Joshua were so thrilled to show it to her.  We had a great time working together -- me critiquing and the boys working on the project until it was just right.  It's a really nice wreath that can sit out all year.  You'll see where I got the idea from in the next pictureBelow you will see the Hanging Wood piece that we are making.  This is not my pice, it's in the garage at the moment waiting for us to put the rest of the hooks on.  Joshua is getting to measure and drill the areas and then screw in the hooks.  The color is the same, a nice gray color.  The wreath will eventually find its home here along with the winter coats as we are getting to that place where we need them.  I think my Niece will really enjoy this new arrangement.  Oh, and we are making the full design as shown below, including the pillows and a throw, the crate, though mine will look a bit different.


Here you see the way we are going to create the rest of the project, including the bench -- I have to find a very sturdy coffee table to create the bench with, but I am fairly good with woodworking, so if we need to add pieces to make it sturdy and handle the weight of two people sitting on it, I can do that.

The next picture with the bedroom doesn't look like my niece's bedroom, but we will be making the piece on the wall with the cut buckets and flowers.  I have the wood already done, but need to cut the buckets apart, and then attach them to the wood and fill them with styrofoam and the artificial greens and flowers that I bought.  Joshua will be helping me with this project, since he is older and can do the drilling and cutting.  I am supervising the work, but they are actually doing most of it so that it is really a gift from the boys to their Mom.

I have several different gray and white and gray white and black fabrics that I purchased to make the pillows.  I will be using large buttons for the pillows and I may have a few to use on the bed as well.

Leo is working on a small box in a box piece that he stained, and he and Joshua lined with cork.  I'll either let them make their Mom a pair of earrings or I will make them, or buy them, depending on the time and how we are moving along with this.  We have to have everything ready by the end of September.

 I am going to buy Deanna a bedspread that has grey, turquoise and white in it -- I am also buying her a camel pillow.  In Hebrew, the letter Gimel is a picture of a camel.  It means that your supply is coming in.  I wanted her to have it for that purpose.

We have a "Sunday Movie" day here at my house after church.  They have lunch here and we sit down with popped corn and other snacks and enjoy movies together.  It's a great way to just enjoy each other's company for a while, laugh together, or when we see some really intense movies, we just all get focused together <g>.  It's a lot of fun, and I love making memories with them.  It gives Deanna a break, a free lunch and the boys love coming here to watch movies.
Okay, that's it for now.  I'm enjoying putting all this together for my niece's birthday, and we will celebrate here at the end of the month during our Sunday Movie day.  So I will be looking through cake recipes and find something tasty for the birthday girl, and get all these gifts wrapped for her which will be interesting since they aren't small <g>.  Birthdays should be memorable, and I love making gifts when I can.  Woodworking is a hobby and so is needlework, and sewing, so I have all the skills to get the jobs done, and a lot of good help!  I'll post pics of the finished pieces when I'm done so you can see the 'real' thing!   Be blessed in your Day!!  KATE

No comments: